Losing your natural teeth can be a traumatic experience. Whether young or old, the impact of tooth loss is likely to directly affect ones lifestyle and confidence. Eating out, socialising or simply smiling can becomes a cause for embarrassment rather than joy.
A solution to this problem is dentures. The practice of wearing false teeth is nothing new. In fact, even the early Etruscans and Egyptians were known to use crude versions of today's dental prosthesis, fashioned indigenously.
Times have changed and so have dental practices. Research has led to the development of aesthetically pleasing, functional and comfortable dentures.
WHAT ARE DENTURES?
Dentures are prosthetic dental appliances constructed to replace missing teeth. Unlike dental bridges and dental implants, which are permanently attached to the bone, dentures are attached to a supporting structure.
This makes them removable and easier to clean and maintain. Affordable dentures are the ones made from conventional plastic teeth while porcelain dentures can be more expensive.
TYPES OF DENTURES
There are different types of dentures
- Complete or full dentures are for those patients who have lost all of their teeth on either or both of the arches. These take some time to get used to as their adjustment depends on a number of factors like the oral cavity muscles, saliva, bone & tongue.
- Removable or partial dentures are used to correct gaps when only few of the teeth are missing. These dentures are fastened to the natural teeth using metal attachments. Partial dentures help in maintaining tooth alignment by preventing the other natural teeth from shifting out of position. They also help to prevent further tooth loss and occurrence of other periodontal disease. There are different kinds of removable dentures - flexible framework,flippers, cast metal and valplastto name a few.
- Immediate dentures as the name suggests are placed at once, right after the patient gets his tooth extraction done. Adjustments are done once the healing process has completed.
ADVANTAGES OF DENTURES
- Alongside the obvious aesthetic value, cosmetic dentures also have a number of benefits from an orthodontic point of view.
- Our teeth give shape to our jaws, cheeks and face. Therefore tooth loss can severely change the appearance of a person's face making one look significantly older than their age.Wearing dentures helps to retain the shape of the jaw and face.
- When we lose a few of our teeth, the ones remaining can start shifting out of their normal position causing misalignment. Wearing dentures can prevent this.
- Dentures also help strengthen facial muscles that control our expressions, proper articulation of words and chewing.
- Dentures can also help prevent 'bone atrophy' or loss of jaw bone density due to deficiency in the supply of vital nutrients in that area.
DENTURES AT THE HARLEY STREET DENTAL CLINIC, LONDON
At the Harley Street Dental Clinic in London, we understand the value of your oral health and smile. Keeping this as our primary goal, we have gathered an expert team of prosthodontists and cosmetic dentists. With their years of training and experience, the dentists at the Harley Street clinic in London are some of the best in field of dental practice. Keeping with the standards of good dental practice, before creating dentures, dentists at the London clinic conduct a thorough assessment of the patient's dental condition is made.
The Harley Street Dental Clinic in London is all about providing patients with quality dental care that is PAIN FREE. To ensure this our cosmetic dentists use only the latest materials and techniques to create customized dentures that fit each patient perfectly.
Our popularity in the field of cosmetic dentistry, not only in London but throughout the UK and around the world can be accredited to the commitment and professionalism of our dentists who always strive to provide advanced pain free dentistry which is unmatched in quality.